Friday, March 12, 2010

Random Thoughts From the Cheesemines

When Christine and Agela asked for volunteers to help with the social networking aspects of ACS, I was more than willing to help…then today arrived and I found myself intimidated by the prospect of writing about cheese to the one thousand plus other ACS members, 99% of whom know more about cheese than I do…

What was I thinking?

I have been writing about my adventures with cheese for more than a year and a half; since August 2008. After a seven year “retirement” I returned to work in the deli at Fred Meyer (part of the Kroger family). It was physically hard work, especially on my feet and I wondered if I would be able to continue. Then one day I heard the words “cheese kiosk” being mentioned as part of the store’s makeover.

I had seen the cheese kiosk at another Fred Meyer and thought it looked pretty cool. And since I like being cool… or at least thinking I’m cool, I decided to apply for the position of “Cheese Steward” although I pretty much had no idea what one was or what one did. For some strange reason, the food manager and deli manager gave me the job… silly folks that they are… they didn’t realize I didn’t have a clue either…
And so it began…

First I went to the local library and checked out every book they had about cheese; then I went to amazon.com and bought a few more books; and then I began exploring the internet. Even two years ago there was so much less online than there is now. But I read and read and read and I began keeping notes about the cheeses we sold and I tasted… and like a fool I started a blog reviewing the cheeses we sold and I tasted… well, it really was the cat I live with that started the blog after he fell in love with Beecher’s No Woman… but he relies on me to correct his spelling.

And the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know but as they say “It’s the journey and not the destination…” (MW)

No comments:

Post a Comment