Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Representin' ACS!

On a recent trip to visit my sister and her family in Athens Ohio, I had the good fortune of meeting Chris Chmiel, Cheesemaker (among other things) at Integration Acres. My sister and brother in-law assured me that great cheese was being made in Ohio, and to prove it they took me to the Athens Farmer's Market on the first day of our visit. You can imagine how delighted I was when I saw a guy manning his booth and wearing an American Cheese Society t-shirt. Way to represent, dude!

That guy was Chris, and not only was he giving a shout-out to ACS via his t-shirt, but he was offering a selection of fresh goat's milk cheeses that would make anyone stand up and take notice. If you're a Euro cheese snob - which you probably aren't if you're reading this blog - but if you are, take a trip to Athens Ohio and try Integration Acres "Smokey Goat." I think you'll find it's as good an example of craftsmanship, creativity, and science as can be found.

Chris tells me he and his wife were recipients of an ACS scholarship to attend a previous annual conference, and I can honestly say that if his work is an indication of what a small Cheesemaker can achieve with a little support from ACS, then the scholarship program really is a huge success. Keep up the good work Chris - I look forward to a time when your cheese can make its way to Northern California!

No comments:

Post a Comment